What to expect between Pike and Bell streets:
- Daytime work 7 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday; follow posted signs and signals for safe access through construction zones.
- Weekend work 7 AM to 5 PM, Saturday, March 18 between Pine St and Elliott Ave.
- Pike St crosswalk at Alaskan Way is closed; access to the Hillclimb is maintained.
- Pedestrian reroutes at the base of Pike St Hillclimb continues through Sunday, March 19.
- Pedestrian access to the Pike Place Market garage is maintained via Western entrance on level 2 via the sidewalk on the east side of the street.
- Pike Place Market Elevator Project continues. See other area projects below for more information.
- Alaskan Way between Pine and Lenora streets reduced to one lane in each direction.
- Lenora Street Pedestrian Bridge and elevator closed until the new elevated roadway opens.
- Lane closure and pedestrian detours on west side of Elliott Ave between Lenora and Bell streets continues. Vehicle access maintained on the east side of Elliott Ave. Pedestrian access to businesses on west side of Elliott Ave north of Lenora St will be maintained. Pedestrian access on Elliott Ave will be maintained via the east side north of Blanchard St.
- Western Ave between Blanchard and Bell streets reduced to one lane and pedestrian detours on east side sidewalk.
- Bell St between Western and 1st avenues closed to vehicles 24/7 starting Monday, March 20 through Sunday, April 2. Pedestrian access is maintained.
Other Area Projects:
- Pike Place Market Elevator Project: Typical work hours are Monday through Friday, 7 AM to 3 PM. Exterior stairs remain closed. Pedestrian access will be provided at the new Alaskan Way pedestrian entry to the garage while elevator decommissioning occurs, follow posted signs for access. The Pike Place Market garage will remain open during construction and will always have elevators available during garage operating hours. More information can be found on the Market’s blog. For questions about access at Pike Place Market or questions about the elevator and stairs project, please email info@PikePlaceMarket.org.
- Seattle Aquarium Ocean Pavilion Project construction continues: Early morning work starting 2 AM on Friday, March 17. Weekend work starting at 7 AM on Saturday, March 18. Regular work hours Monday through Friday from 7 AM to 8 PM. Alaskan Way reduced to one lane in each direction between Pike and Pine streets. The crosswalk at Pike St crossing Alaskan Way is closed with a detour to Union St. If you have any questions, contact the Aquarium at 206.386.4345 or visit their website.
- Victor Steinbrueck Park Renovation project: The park is closed until fall 2023. See Seattle Parks and Recreation website for more details. For additional information, please email Shannon Glass at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Extenet conduit installation on Western Ave north of Bell St: Telecommunication provider Extenet’s contractor, WAECO, continues to install a conduit across Western Ave immediately north of Bell St. Typical work hours are 7 AM to 4 PM. Work is anticipated to be complete by Friday, March 24.
PROJECTS IN THIS AREA
Alaskan Way Construction
Waterfront Seattle expanded its work area north of Pike Street in the footprint of the former viaduct to begin construction of the new Elliott Way. This road over the railroad tracks and carved into the hillside will be a key connection between Alaskan Way and Belltown. Activities include establishing the work zone, mobilizing equipment, locating utilities, and removing asphalt and landscaping. View our construction flyer for details on work happening north of Pike Street.
Overlook Walk Construction
Construction of the Overlook Walk started in June 2022 within the existing work zone adjacent to the Pike Place Market’s MarketFront and west of the existing parking garage. This elevated, pedestrian-focused space is a unique element of the Waterfront Seattle Program as it creates a completely new east-west connection that links Pike Place Market to the waterfront, providing access without ever having to cross the new Alaskan Way travel lanes.
Pier 58 Construction
Construction of Pier 58 started in September 2022. The new pier will provide a space for people to gather, including a tree grove and elevated lawn, and a new playground.