Between Columbia and Pine streets:
- Daytime work 7 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday; follow posted signs and signals for safe access through construction zones.
- Weekend work 7 AM to 5 PM on Saturday, September 18 on Union St between Alaskan Way and Western Ave and on Alaskan Way between Seneca and Union streets.
- Early work starting at 5 AM on Union St on Monday, September 20.
- South crosswalk closure across Alaskan Way at Columbia St.
- Full closure of Marion St between Alaskan Way and Western Ave Tuesday, September 21 through Thursday, September 23, pedestrian access will be maintained.
- Lane closures on Madison, Spring, and Seneca streets continue.
- Pedestrian realignment on east side multi-use path between Madison and Pike streets.
- Union St between Alaskan Way and Western Ave is closed, including stairs. Pedestrian access is maintained at University St and Pike St Hillclimb.
- West parking lane restrictions on Western Ave between University and Union streets continue.
- Full closure of Western Ave between University and Virginia streets continues for Pike Place Market work; see other area projects below for more information.
- Pedestrian detour between Pike Street Hillclimb and Alaskan Way, use delineated path located north of the Pike St stairs.
- Aquarium Expansion construction has resumed at Pike St, see other area projects below for more information.
Other Area Projects:
- Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT)’s South Access – Surface Street Connections Project is underway: On the night of September 16, First Ave S between S Dearborn St and S Royal Brougham Way will be closed to traffic as crews remove a sign bridge over the roadway. Work should be complete by the early morning of September 17. Construction on the new Charles Street and the pedestrian plaza east of First Avenue South is scheduled to begin in mid-October. Expect additional paving work on the northwest portion of southbound First Ave S in the next two weeks. The work zone on the west side of First Ave S between S Dearborn St and S Royal Brougham Way will remain in place through this month. Visit the project website for details or contact the project at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Alliance for Pioneer Square volunteer clean up event on Saturday, September 18: Full closure of 1st Ave S between S King and Cherry streets 9 AM to 3 PM on Saturday, September 18, for the safety of volunteers. For more information about this event, email Public Realm Manager, Sara Pizzo, or visit their website.
- Construction of The Jack at S Jackson St between 1st Ave S and Alaskan Way S has restarted: Parking is restricted, and a lane closure is in place on S Jackson St, two-way traffic is maintained. A portion of the sidewalk on Alaskan Way S north of S Jackson St is closed, pedestrian access is maintained. If you have any questions, contact Torrey Davis or Michael Orme.
- Washington Park construction continues: Project includes substantial alteration of the existing 3-story building located at 68 S Washington St with a new one-story penthouse addition. Parking lane and sidewalk on north side of S Washington St will be closed. Parking lane along Alaskan Way S in front of building will be restricted. If you have any questions, contact Dylan Currie.
- Construction of the citizenM hotel at the northeast corner of Yesler and Alaskan ways is in progress: Visit Mortenson’s website for more information.
- Colman Dock Multimodal Terminal continues: More information can be found on the Washington State Department of Transportation’s website.
- Pike Place Market construction on Western Ave between University and Virginia streets continues: Full closure of Western Ave between University and Virginia streets until further notice. If you have any questions, contact Kelsey Lindblom at Kelsey.email@example.com or 206.200.1873.
- Seattle Aquarium Ocean Pavilion Project construction resumes: Early construction activities for the future Ocean Pavilion have resumed with duct bank installation at Pike St. Expect pedestrian reroutes at Pike St at Alaskan Way. Two-lane closure on Alaskan Way between Union and Pine streets from 9 AM to 3 PM continues, two-way traffic will be maintained. If you have any questions, contact the Aquarium at 206.693.6248 or visit their website.
- Puget Sound Energy (PSE) gas line installation north of Pike St: Working 3 PM to 2 AM resumes Monday, September 20. If you have any questions or concerns related to PSE’s work, please contact them at 888.404.8773.
PROJECTS IN THIS AREA
Alaskan Way Construction
The work zone on Alaskan Way has expanded to Pike Street. Similar to construction underway between S King and Marion streets, intersecting east/west streets will remain open and pedestrian access will be maintained. Businesses with mid-block vehicle driveways will be provided a route adjacent to the work zone. Initial activities include establishing work zones, mobilizing equipment, locating utilities, surveying, delivering materials, and breaking pavement for excavation and utility installation. View our construction flyer for more detail on work expanding to Pike Street.
Pier removal was completed in February 2021. The rebuild is anticipated to begin in 2022 and take approximately two years to complete.
Union St Pedestrian Bridge and Elevator
Construction of a new pedestrian bridge, stair and elevator between Western Ave and Alaskan Way began on March 17, 2021. The existing staircase at Union St connecting Western Ave with Alaskan Way will be closed until the project is complete. Pedestrians will be able to access Alaskan Way from University St or the Pike St Hill Climb. The Union St Pedestrian Bridge project will build a new connection with an elevated walkway, elevator and staircase; and make improvements to the Western Ave intersection. This new connection to the waterfront will provide significant accessibility improvements and is planned to open in late 2022.
View our construction flyer to learn more.