Between Columbia and Pine streets:
- Daytime work 7 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday; follow posted signs and signals for safe access through construction zones.
- Weekend work from 4 AM to 10 AM on Western Ave between University and Union streets on Saturday, June 19.
- Minor sidewalk restoration work at Marion St between Alaskan Way and Western Ave on Saturday, June 19.
- Partial closure of Marion St with only the north sidewalk open is expected through Friday, June 18, while restoration work is finalized.
- Union St between Alaskan Way and Western Ave is closed, including stairs. Pedestrian access is maintained at University St and Pike St Hillclimb.
- Continuing lane and sidewalk closures on Western Ave between University and Union streets through Saturday, June 19.
- Pedestrian detour between Pike Street Hillclimb and Alaskan Way, use delineated path located north of the Pike Street stairs.
- Pike Place Market garage vehicle access and the new pedestrian path from Alaskan Way now open.
- Sidewalk on the west side of Alaskan Way narrowed between Pike and Pine streets for repairs to the glass panels in the sidewalk.
Other Area Projects:
- Colman Dock Multimodal Terminal continues: More information can be found on the Washington State Department of Transportation’s website.
PROJECTS IN THIS AREA
Alaskan Way Construction
The work zone on Alaskan Way has expanded to Pike Street. Similar to construction underway between S King and Marion streets, intersecting east/west streets will remain open and pedestrian access will be maintained. Businesses with mid-block vehicle driveways will be provided a route adjacent to the work zone. Initial activities include establishing work zones, mobilizing equipment, locating utilities, surveying, delivering materials, and breaking pavement for excavation and utility installation. View our construction flyer for more detail on work expanding to Pike Street.
During active pier removal on Sept. 13, 2020, the northeast corner of Pier 58 collapsed. We were in the process of removing a concrete section of the pier to delay further pier movement and deterioration. The structure has ongoing monitoring systems for movement in place. We will continue removing Pier 58 as soon as it is safe to do so and will evaluate the best approach for the remainder of the work. We will continue to share information as the situation develops.
Pier 58 removal is expected to be completed by early 2021. The design of the pier rebuild is ongoing with construction scheduled to begin in 2022.
Union St Pedestrian Bridge and Elevator
Construction of a new pedestrian bridge, stair and elevator between Western Ave and Alaskan Way began on March 17, 2021. The existing staircase at Union St connecting Western Ave with Alaskan Way will be closed until the project is complete. Pedestrians will be able to access Alaskan Way from University St or the Pike St Hill Climb. The Union St Pedestrian Bridge project will build a new connection with an elevated walkway, elevator and staircase; and make improvements to the Western Ave intersection. This new connection to the waterfront will provide significant accessibility improvements and is planned to open in late 2022.
View our construction flyer to learn more.