Between Columbia and Pike streets:
- Daytime work 7 AM to 5 PM, Tuesday through Friday; follow posted signs and signals for safe access through construction zones.
- Overnight work 7 PM on Friday, July 8 to 5 AM, Saturday, July 9 between Marion and University streets.
- Weekend work between Madison and Union streets, 6 AM to 5 PM on Saturday, July 9.
- Pedestrian access to businesses on east side of Alaskan Way north of Union St maintained on south side of Union St intersection and near Pike St; vehicle access for businesses remains open. Vehicle access to parking garage is maintained through temporary access lanes through the work zone.
- The Union St staircase between Alaskan Way and Western Ave remains closed with pedestrian access maintained via University St and Pike Street Hillclimb.
Other Area Projects:
PROJECTS IN THIS AREA
Alaskan Way Construction
The work zone on Alaskan Way has expanded to Pike Street. Similar to construction underway between S King and Marion streets, intersecting east/west streets will remain open and pedestrian access will be maintained. Businesses with mid-block vehicle driveways will be provided a route adjacent to the work zone. Activities include mobilizing equipment, locating utilities, surveying, delivering materials, breaking pavement for excavation and utility installation and striping and paving.
Pier removal was completed in February 2021. The rebuild is anticipated to begin in 2022 and take approximately two years to complete.
Union St Pedestrian Bridge and Elevator
Construction of a new pedestrian bridge, stair and elevator between Western Ave and Alaskan Way began on March 17, 2021. The existing staircase at Union St connecting Western Ave with Alaskan Way will be closed until the project is complete. Pedestrians will be able to access Alaskan Way from University St or the Pike St Hill Climb. The Union St Pedestrian Bridge project will build a new connection with an elevated walkway, elevator and staircase; and make improvements to the Western Ave intersection. This new connection to the waterfront will provide significant accessibility improvements and is planned to open in late 2022.
View our construction flyer to learn more.