About the project
The Washington Street Boat Landing (WSBL) Pergola has played an important role in Seattle’s waterfront since the early 20th century. Built in 1920 to house the Seattle Harbor Master, the Pergola served as the symbolic gateway to the city from the Puget Sound. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Pergola was actively used until the mid-1970s, serving as a landing for local ferries and ocean-going ships, the headquarters for the Seattle Harbor Patrol and a departure point for the U.S. Navy.
With the reconstruction of the Elliott Bay Seawall, the Pergola was temporarily removed in 2014 and placed in storage at Terminal 25 in the Port of Seattle.
As part of the Waterfront Seattle Program, the Pergola will be restored and reinstalled in its original location. Restoration and reinstallation will be contracted using the Design-Bid-Build (DBB) method of project delivery.
The DBB advertisement for bids is scheduled to be released in April 2017 and construction will be completed by the end of 2017. The restored Pergola will provide a public overlook of Elliott Bay and, in the future, include a food concession.
Related documents and links:
- Washington Street Boat Landing Pergola project information
- Washington Street Boat Landing Pergola Restoration project from September 2016 (PDF, 5 MB)
- Washington Street Boat Landing Pergola restoration design rendering (PDF, 43 KB)
- Washington Street Boat Landing Pergola restoration night rendering (PDF, 736 KB)